Friday, September 02, 2005

Death

I read somewhere that the biggest fear of death is about not being able to share that experience with anyone.

As I read and write blogs, I realize how strong is the need in each of us to share and let others know of our experiences. Do we aim for immortality through every effort, to leave some parts of us to go on with life?

The transient nature of cyberspace, has not deterred us from attempting at immortality through writing. Isn't it an irony that one click of the button we will all die a cyber death either out of our own will or some one decides the eblogging is not a good thing to happen and makes the technology obsolete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still go on talking about our experiences.

Even the thought of not talking about experiences and only listening sounds so difficult.

5 comments:

Usha said...

Speaking for myself, it is an urge to share rather than any thought of immortality that makes me blog - the joy of being able to reach a paavai or a dubukku whom I would never have known from my tiny little obscure corner - and the sharing of similar or contrary opinion. If blogging stopped, I would not feel I am dead. i would still take a paper and pen and write to the people in my known circle. Only I would not have the ability to touch and be touched by complete strangers.

Kasthuri said...

The joy of sharing heavily depends on the expectation that the other person will most likely appreciate our ideas. I guess this is not required in death as there will be no other person. Similarly, in blogging when we write just to pen our thoughts rather than sharing our views, things become much easy - even if the world of blog perishes one day or when we have no comments :-). Viewing blogging as an alternative to pen and paper makes things much easy. Its just a matter of dispassion that we should develop. Nice post.

ada-paavi!!!! said...

cyber death isnt siliar to death persay.

Paavai said...

Usha - thanks for your comments, i was probing into unconscious desires and wishes

Kasthuri - In death 'not having another person to share' is the essence of my post. All acts at a behavioral level has a set of motivation that could be different or deeper from the unconscious, subconscious and conscious levels of the mind - I was trying to reach the realm beyond the behavioral act of writing

Yes you are correct in saying that we blog to air one's thoughts rather than sharing.

Vatsan - Thanks for your comment

Random Access said...

I loved the opening phrase. Though it seems distant, it cud be any instant. I believe that the beauty of life is its unpredictability and so is the end. Infact, according to Hinduism, death is just a transient phase, but I wudnt wanna find it out soon ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!