Thursday, September 08, 2005

Kinder souls

Pedigree dogs are "allowed" to mate when the owner thinks it is time and "permitted" to litter, and then a buyer comes , separates the pup of his/her choice from the mothers as young as it can be and the pup cries the whole night and day for months, changes the diet to match the family's diet , made to feel bonded with the family, left in animal care when he/she travels and then die... ..................

Is love and kindness absolute?

If it is absolute, how come people who have pedigree dogs/cats or any animal for a pet, and are willing to devote time, energy (cleaning potty, cleaning the mess, giving food on time, medicines etc, etc) do not think of bringing home a child and raising it?

Sujatha (tamil writer) once mentioned that he brought home a baby and the baby kept crying the whole night and him and his wife decided to "return" the baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May be I missed the whole story here :(- and wish I am totally misinformed on this since I hate to believe it happened.

All of us should spend a few hours in an orphange (I hate this term - someone give me a positive sounding one - please) on a regular basis to probably empathize with what I am saying.

Ps. I love animals and I care for them. I am just sort of perplexed with the concept of forced breeding and the exhorbitant sums spent on a pedigree dog/animal...

8 comments:

TJ said...

I remember a related story!
A man expressed his love for elephants by having a big ivory elephant on his table, made from the tusk of an elephant killed brutally in the forest.

Gnana Kirukan said...

that's a nice thought paavai..I am sad now after seeing the plight of the puppies :(..any being should not be separated from its mother
:(..Quiet senti now!

Vinesh said...

Confession: I do not have the mental strength to go to a home for the aged or an orphanage. Heart aches, I cry inconsolably..

Ashamed of myself. Plan to get over this eventually..

Usha said...

Hi, An issue people with a dog regularly face. I understand where you are coming from but I thought I will talk about the other side.

It is easier to bring an animal home rather than a human - the responsibility involved is much less. you could cause more damage to a human by bringing him/her home and if all the family does not accept the child as their own. In the case of an animal, you feed it and keep it free from diseases, it just stays with you - no complications and no problems even if some of the family do not love it as much as you do.

As for separating from mother, the period of infancy in animals is not prolonged as in humans. Left to itself too, the mother would have wanted the child to become independent as soon as it can. And in most cases the pedigree kids are also not spearated from the mother too early - usally it is after 3 or 4 weeks.

"Allowing to breed" - tough issue. But the trade off is between mating freely and contracting infections and diseases or bred selectively. You can solve it by having a pair perhaps. But it is a very big decision - physically and financially.

I have a dog who walked in from the streets as a puppy. He is family now and I have even quit my last job to take care of him as he is epileptic. I know for a fact that all his siblings died 4 years ago of one problem or other in spite of my feeding them. So the trade off is between having a home and living longer and healthier or being "free" and contracting diseases or die of starvation or an accident. So I have stopped having qualms about not allowing him to mate freely.May be I am wrong.

Paavai said...

tj - animal in the human being I suppose

arjuna - echo your thoughts

vinesh - gone through the same feelings as you, many years ago I remember sobbing my heart out at vishranthi, when a little kid sat on my lap and went to sleep. But over time, I have learnt to control these emotions and tell myself that the happiness in the residents' face is worth the pain I go through. Tough process, but works. All the best to you.

Usha - It is a myth that a child should be accepted and loved by all, as soon as they enter a family. Seldom they are like movie stories.

Your dog is fortunate to have you as the care giver :)-

Random Access said...

Its a beautiful thought. I totally agree that love is much more than what is quantified as "love". But therein, you also shud realise the complexity of our existence. Its not only the love of those who made us exist, its the love of those around us that really defines what we are and who we become. The same applies to animals as well.

Regarding the story by TJ, one shud not assume it was the same person who killed the elephant. We spend so much time pointing fingers at others that we dont realise we can do wonders OURSELVES.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Paavai said...

Random access - Totally totally agree with you.

Ravi said...

Paavai, a nice thought about visiting the orphanages and homes. You really get to feel how fortunate you are in life! The feeling is amazing.

Regarding dog breeding, yes, its a big business. I have seen ads which even mention parentage (upto 2-3 generations) of a pup!!