Thursday, August 11, 2005

Eblogging and the comfort of anonymity

The tamil expression "Mottai Kadidasu" (anonymous letter) has a strong negative connotation and when I look at the eblogging and the number of anonymous comments, it makes me wonder if anonymous writing is negative at all ???????

I find the freedom to write anonymously very liberating. No one knows who I am, how I look, what is my background and read whatever I write as just thoughts and ideas from a head and a heart. Strangely the negative comments or accusation of a anonymous writer, makes me introspect and think about the comment rather than about the personality of the writer.

It is healthy in the psychological sense, if we can overcome the block of considering an anonymous writer as someone timid, shy, mean or manipulative and look at this person as someone who just wants his/her thoughts to be read or heard.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Nice point!
Generally Anonymous comments, are more critical and valid in blogs ;)

Paavai said...

Yes TJ, I agree that an anonymous writer can be more candid than someone with an identity

Dubukku said...

Yes while anonymous writing can remove intial mental blocks abt the writer..I feel its the content which will make the impact. Some ppl misue this anonymity for abusing other people...which is increasingly becoming a trend hmmmm

Paavai said...

Thanks for visiting dubukku - misuse is with everything, right from the use of internet to medical science, I was considering the merits vs the general perception that anonymity is negative