Thursday, December 15, 2005

Giving and Receiving

Art of giving -

My friend's most painful memory is having gone to a rotary club gathering and collecting her scholarship and books in front of a group of people.

After many many years she shared this with tears - "I was in college and in the evening I had to go to this five star hotel to collect my scholarship. When I reached there, I was made to wait for the chief guest and the rest of the gathering was busy drinking whatever they choose to. When the chief guest came there were photographs taken and then they called me to hand over the books and the cheque and everyone clapped (when she said this she was choking). One member had the decency to ask me which college I was from, did I like the subject and also asked if I wanted to eat something, the rest of them behaved as if I did not exist. I still want to run away from the scene".

She does rub shoulders with the rotary club members these days but the pain has not eased.

I feel we are dehumanizing the person when we call them for a meeting and give away stuff in front of a large gathering. It could be the domestic help who has to collect her goodies in front of guests who come to visit us during festivals.

Karna is supposed to have "given" even with his left hand. When someone asked if it was not impolite, he said the mind is ever changing and in the process of transferring (money for ex) from one hand to another, your mind will ask you questions like should you give all of it, should you give it now, should it be for this person and your plans will change.

So give as soon as someone asks for something.

Can we learn from this story of Karna and what my friend suffers and be sensitive to the nuances of giving and the feelings of the receiver.

5 comments:

TJ said...

I consider, demeaning the simple/poor/needy are one of the serious human rights violations.

Nice observations!

Vinesh said...

Neenga solradhu sari dhaan..

Kudutha mattum paththaadhu..
Kudukkra murai irukku...

Usha said...

There is a grace in giving and a grace in receiving.
I am reminded of Gibran:
"And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;
They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.
Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth."

Yes, I think I understand what your friend is talking about.

Unknown said...

Wonderful post Paavai. So true about giving as soon as someone asks (or as soon as you think you should) as I've noticed that I start questioning things the longer I leave it

Anonymous said...

very true. Giving it with dignity is equally important